Ukrainian Literary Club in London
The next meeting of the Ukrainian Literary Club will take place on Saturday, May 25th, 11.00am at the Ukrainian Institute in London. We will discuss Andriy Kokotyukha’s (Àíäð³é Êîêîòþõà) novel Chervoniy (The Red), which was on the BBC Ukrainian Book of the Year 2012 shortlist.
The club is led by Volodymyr Oleyko, a distinguished Ukrainian poet living in London.
Readings and discussions are held in Ukrainian. All Welcome. Free Admission.
Andriy Kokotyukha is a writer, journalist and screenwriter. He was born 1970 in Nizhyn, Chernihiv region. He graduated from the Faculty of Journalism at Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University. He is the author of over 30 fiction, documentary and journalistic books. From 2007 to 2009, three of his detective stories for adults were shot in wide screen and for television. Based on one of his journalistic publications, the Dovzhenko Film Studios shot the film “Deadlock”. Andriy Kokotyukha is also the author of the scripts of several documentary series in the programme “Criminal Stories” under the label of the leading Ukrainian TV channel ICTV.
Kokotyuha’s books have appeared and still appear in almost all Ukrainian publishing houses that publish books and contemporary literature for teens including “Smoloskyp”, “Calvaria”, “Folio”, “Piramida”, “Nora-Druk”, “Zelenyj pes”, “Book club “Family Leisure Club”, “Krayina mriy”, “A-BA-BA-HA-LA-MA-HA” and “Grani-T”. He regularly collaborates with the most popular Ukrainian newspapers and magazines, television stations and production studios. Since 2011, he has been on the panel of judges for the literary contest “Yune Slovo”.
He is the winner of the awards of publishing houses “Smoloskyp” magazine, “Berezil”, the popular literature contest “Zolotyi Babay” and the awards in literary competition “Koronatsiya Slova” (Crowning of Word). He writes in both Russian and Ukrainian.
- 1996 — laureate of the national literary competition of the publishing house “Smoloskyp”
- 1999 — laureate of the contest “Zolotyi Babay”
- 2002 — laureate of the Ukrainian novels, screenplays and plays contest “Crowning the Word”
- 2003 — winner of the Ukrainian novels, screenplays and plays contest “Crowning the Word”
- 2004 — winner of the Ukrainian novels, screenplays and plays contest “Crowning the Word”
- 2005 — winner of the Ukrainian novels, screenplays and plays contest “Crowning the Word”
- 2000 — prize winner of the magazine “Berezil”
- 2002 — prize winner of the festival “Vidkryta Nich” for the best publication about the festival
- 2002 — winner of the badge “for exemplary performance in service in the internal troops of Ukraine”
- 2003 — prize winner of the magazine “Berezil”
- 2003 — badge recipient “Silver George” for the film script “Deadlock”
- 2004 — recipient of the diploma from the XI Publishers Forum in Lviv “best journalist who writes about books”
- 2007 — laureate of the Ukrainian screenplays and plays contest “Crowning the Word”
- 2008 — laureate of the Ukrainian screenplays and plays contest “Crowning the Word”
ALL PAST EVENTS